Saturday, April 1, 2017

An Intentional Day: Mindful Motivation: Morning Installment

It's still dark, a chill is in the air, I desperately want to roll over and go back to sleep but my alarm keeps buzzing like a swarm of bees ready to sting if I don't put my feet on the ground. But, this Saturday morning I have no choice but to toss off the blankets and stir my focus to the days events. Our last general NAQT quiz bowl tournament of the year. State and Nationals finals left. Today I will have 3 6th grade teams and 3 7/8 grade teams participating. 5 students on each team plus their parents so it feels almost like a convoy. I am also, sick and coughing, runny nose, a bit of a fever. But, I need to focus and stay mindful that this day is not about me and my achy body but my students who are excited and motivated to get the highest stats possible. This is the tournament that determines the second state and nationals team, our first being the top 5 stats of the year.

The malaise is just awful and before I allow myself to sink into it...I close my eyes and focus on being healthy. I take a deep breath, the best I can with my circumstances, hold it in, breathe out....repeat. I set my intentions for the day. My intention is to take it easy, try to stay calm amidst the hustle and bustle. My intention is to delegate to parents the task of keeping a team focused and motivated throughout the day, I am only one person and there are six teams. My intention is to cheer on the 6th grade teams heavily for it is their last tournament this year and they are the main team next year. My intention is to just be, be present and be supportive. I repeat my intentions and then and only then does my foot touch the floor.

A cup of Starbucks in hand, I am getting on the road. Installment two, evening installment with an update on their scores and how the day went will be posted after the tournament. So look for installment 2 this evening. I know my teams will do their best. Lots of pranks and silliness will ensue with it being April Fool's Day so it will be a fun day. My intention is to enjoy the day, the last tournament with the whole team all 35 of them. To just smile, try not to talk (losing my voice rapidly), and just have fun with my students. Motivation, check. Intentions, check. Coffee, check. And 5...4...3...2...1... here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...