Monday, April 3, 2017

Hygge- A Danish Path to Mindfulness- Classroom Strategy

Winnie the Pooh, my inspiration as a child (I still have my stuffed Pooh bear) once said, "Emotions are something you do not need to spell, but feel," I ran across the term Hygge a few months ago while reading BBC Focus Magazine. Then the term came up again while I was reading an article on happiness and contentment. I wanted to know more so I bought the quintessential book on Hygge, The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking. Since then I have been looking for ways to integrate the idea of hygge not only into my personal life but my classroom as well.

Here is a great definition of hygge by the author of the aforementioned book. I think this description is what got me hooked. "Explaining exactly what it (hygge) is, is the tricky part. Hygee has been called everything from "the art of creating intimacy," "coziness of the soul," and "absence of annoyance," to "taking pleasure from the presence of soothing things," "cozy togetherness," and my personal favorite "cocoa by candlelight."" Hygee however, is about the atmosphere, mood, and vibe around you not about things. This may seem like an informal way to teach, but research has shown time and time again that when students are comfortable, relaxed and at ease they will be more likely to take-risks, think outside the box, and be engaged in learning. So why not integrate hygge into a classroom, minus the candlelight of course. But maybe a dimly lit lamp?

Flexible seating is one way for a student to feel comfortable and safe in the classroom. Having alternative seating arrangements to fit various personalities and comfort levels is important. Currently, my flexible seating is various tables and chairs, but hopefully my grants will be accepted because my goal is to incorporate "the softer side of seating" and "active sitting arrangements" through the use of giant rugs, cushions, stationary balls, balance boards, even Hokki stools. I want to create comfortable learning spaces where every child can find what works best for them. This is hygge. A warm, cozy, relaxed atmosphere. Finding a cozy nook to sit in, a giant pillow on the floor or even a standing desk if that is where they feel inspired and engaged will create a hygge classroom, a safe place to learn and grow. I am also going to create a hot tea, cocoa station as inspired by my friend Tricia Gragano-Reyes.

I could add a million different types of seating but if the atmosphere and tone of the classroom is not one of calm and balance it would all be for nought. So mindfulness is key. When a classroom is student-centered, focused on growth and learning, mindful and respectful, comfortable and safe, students will take the leap. They will build a community based on support and acceptance. When the classroom is no longer a setting but an environment, it becomes hygge. When conversations are flowing about every topic imaginable, not only content based, hygge has surfaced. My goal is to even now, while waiting for the next stage of alternative seating, is to bring more of the hygge principles into the fold. Let them take their shoes off, find a corner to cozy up in, sit on the floor if they want to. As long as the atmosphere is calm and balanced, then learning will occur.

Some teachers may think this is crazy. That every student needs to be sitting in a desk or shenanigans will take place. If they are not facing forward hanging on their every word then something is amiss. To me if they are not engaged in interaction and cooperation most of the time then I am amiss. Of course I do address the whole class each day but not for long. Being student-centered means they drive the discourse, I merely present the topic and sometimes task. Let students feel empowered and they will commit to their learning. When students are engaged and committed they are happy. A happy community is a fruitful one. Hygge to me is the warm blanket that surrounds my classroom. When students feel: cozy, absent from annoyance, focused on their own mind and how they learn, they feel relaxed and a part of something bigger. They will seek to be connected rather than isolated and then and only then will the classroom become hygge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...