Friday, April 7, 2017

The Real You: Persona or Normality: Teaching Should be Personal

There are many amazing books out there about teaching. Banner and Cannon’s The Elements of Teaching, which I always find mindful and calming, is one of my current reads. I was just browsing the chapter on Character, which gives several tips: a teaching character must be authentic and consistent, distinct and individual; it means showing humanity by acknowledging lapses and errors and requires sociability; and it should mature with age. In other words, flexible and fluid, personal and relate able. Everyone says "I have no mask on, I am simply me." But, truthfully we all play different roles every day, it is written into our psyche, to be completely bare is terrifying and most people have some type of persona they play, especially as teachers. The key is to be as vulnerable as we can, honest as our minds will allow and build a rapport with our students that is both worthy of respect and admiration.

Early on as a teacher my persona changed a lot depending on the class, the students and my mood. I found it challenging to keep control as well as be friendly. The balance between discipline and laid back took many years to accomplish. I began to let loose a little, be commanding but also playful and free-spirited. My professional clothes slowly became more consistent with my personal style and eventually it became a part of my persona. Ponytails, cool sneakers or Doc Martin's and funky shirts. My walls slowly transformed from science walls to a Dr. Who themed design, including a TARDIS and sonic screw-driver. Once my personality became a part of my classroom, my behavior management got stronger and my sense of humor started to shine. Students began to see me as the funny teacher. Then I had to find balance again between being laid back and cool but also someone that my students would want to listen to and learn with.

As I’ve gotten better at teaching, my teaching persona has edged ever closer to whatever might pass for my "real" persona. I have a very different outlook on the world then most people, I have Dyslexia and was bullied horribly as a child. This has become integrated into my personal persona. I share stories of my failures as much as I do my successes. I joke around with my students, get silly and goofy, but also am focused and serious and students follow my lead. I greet them with respect and smiles but also rouse them a bit to keep them on their toes. Instilling a tone and mood that has spawned a flexible, student-centered classroom where the trust has been established and students take risks and learn as a community.

Now I am comfortable with myself in the classroom, comfortable tolerating a certain amount of levity and personal disclosure I couldn’t have mustered earlier in my teaching career. Because I know how to maintain control, I don’t fear mutiny. Because I’m confident in my abilities, I’m more willing to admit my weaknesses or my lapses. Because I’m not trying to persuade my students that I’m not a fraud, I also tend to be more open and appreciate my students more. I sit down with my students one-on-one and have chats each week, we get personal, and this has created a bond like no other. They try to stump me with science questions, its very cool. I know science pretty well and they see that so they trust me. I have their back supporting them no matter what. No judgments. This has fostered trust and respect. This is not apart of my persona, it is more me. I am less focused on what others think of me and being. Every day, I see my only task is to inspire my kids with curiosity and discover to teach themselves science.

Very much of myself is in the way I dress, speak, listen. My students see that. Even on my darkest most frustrating days, I shine through. But a persona is still present because it is always present. I focus every day, through my intention setting to find ways to be me, to let the scary vulnerable side come through. I see students doing this now too. The stronger relationships the stronger community. An actor sees an audience, they create personas to share with the world. I try to see individuals and personalities, and, I think this comes across as more of a real person to them in consequence. There is always a hidden part of us, this is expected but children need to see our "softer side" the parental side, the comrade in arms side. But they also need consistency and focus. When we are ourselves this comes naturally because there is no "pretend" only reality and reliability.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...