Friday, May 12, 2017

A Glowing Reflection: A Luminecent Approach

Reflection can be brutal, if we honestly dive deep to the bottom, where those crazy often scary thoughts lie, where light is absent, the current is still and the only life are luminescent dwellers. The depth that often goes unexplored because it can take such time to reach it. The pressure so fierce it causes headaches and blindness. Yet, if we reach it, through a slow submersible or a rapid submarine we get such insight it can alter the way we see our world. It is a place of silence. Even the quiet has secrets. An absence of audible expression is replaced by clarity and focus. A deep breath bringing in the memories and releasing the doubt. A speck of light in the distance, almost like a laser pointer bringing every ounce of concentration to a nano-second, a glimpse of present, a shadow of future. Just to be. Mindful awareness.

Thoughts are rapid fire, I am trying to make sense of them. The darkness is allowing them to creep in keeping my eyes darting left and right in the fog. I slow my breathing.....heart beat steady....absorbing every emotion until it trails into a single vision. Stay eager, stay open, stay reflective. Meditation is not a way to clear the mind but to flood it with our presence so we can rule our mind. Our mind can shape us positively or negatively. We just need to harness our emotions so we can control them. If we can, then we can take charge of our lives. I am a control freak. I want to be in control and meditation helps me do this. Illuminating my world day by day. Reflection, meditation and mindfulness my motto.

Heading out to Dallas for our Quiz Bowl Nationals competition for the weekend. 12 students, their parents and my family. Excited, exhausted and energized to watch these students have fun and compete. We have been practicing long hours and competing in tournaments- 8 total since August. This is the culminating event. Need to make sure I dive deep and meditate every night. Reflect and recenter. I have even taught some mindful strategies to my students. So packed and ready for the five hour drive. Dallas here we come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...