Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Simple, Streamlined, Purposeful: Keeping the Pace after Quiz Bowl

This is not the time of the year to experiment with the latest. complicated, technological break through. At least it isn't for me. Three weeks left. Only three and I am planning on making the most of it with my students. Introducing a new way of doing things at this point will just overturn the apple cart. The routine is in place, our spontaneity is still active and relevance is abound: We are discussing Texas eco-regions. This topic however, relevant is not the most exciting or interesting for students. So I am going to stir things up a little but also keep it direct and focused so we can streamline the unit and have more time to enjoy our end of the year activities, Rubik's cube mosaic and frog dissection. Two things students have been looking forward to all year. This week is basically all about STAAR testing and students are dragging themselves to class after sitting quietly for four hours. Teachers too are glossy eyed and distracted, myself included. Simple and purposeful. Right now I think students want challenging and engaging of course but something that is useful and meaningful. Minimal does not mean lazy or uninspired to me it means making the most of things without a lot. A lot of supplies, money, time. But completely full of mystery, curiosity and fun. Hence my makerspace.

Here are a few simple, easy things my students have done these last few weeks: Created models of Star Wars planets to describe weathering, erosion and deposition (WED). They created personal fidget spinners with paper clips, string, bottle caps etc. They went outside and discussed the local effects of WED. They had a mini Edcamp where they used personification to take on the role of a catastrophic event, they played braniac (a science version of Cranium), they played Jenga (Peruvian food chain). All of these were hands-on, student-driven and interactive. I had to do very little, except observe. For Texas eco-regions I am going to have students represent a region and research all of their natural land forms, tourist attractions, major cities and we will have a panel where each group will "sell" their city as the best region in Texas. Then we will have a debate. This instead of a web quest and creating a travel brochure. Less paper and way way more interactive and collaborative- simple.

This weekend May 12-14 my students and I are going to Dallas for the NAQT nationals tournament. 12 students, their parents and I finishing our first year of Quiz Bowl and participating in our first ever nationals tournament. This has taken up just about all of my time this year and it has paid off because my students have worked so hard and they are ready. They are still excited and determined to win. 180 teams from across the country all in one place. This is going to be fun. Hence, the need to minimize my work load. Not my dedication, determination or full and complete presence (except for Friday when I will literally be absent) just the amount of work. The easiest way to do this, no copies. Let students take the lead. Think-out-side the box and simply let loose and have fun. These last three weeks are all about my students and keeping the relationships strong.

Learning does not only happen in a classroom. It needs to be modeled and shared with our students. They need to seek opportunities to learn, to broaden their horizons. They need to be able to find situations in which they interface with other students who are not like them. Students who know things they don't, have had experiences they have not. The connections we make through competition whether science, quiz bowl, athletics or music, it doesn't matter if students are given opportunities to interact and meet new people this is what helps shape open-mindedness, growth-mindset and compassion. Quiz bowl has helped the pace quicken and keep me on my toes all year- it is coming to fruition this weekend. What I have noticed most is how my students have matured and become more observant of their behavior, open to suggestions, impartial and perceptive. Keeping the pace is also setting the stage for this growth to occur. The more our children are exposed to new ideas the more curious they become and this leads to innovation and inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...