Sunday, May 28, 2017

Relax but also be Productive: Summer Challenges

Summers are a time for me to attend conferences, teach several classes to my fellow Katy ISD teachers at the Science Conference, teach science summer camp for a week to 4th-5th graders and hit as many Edcamps and PD as I can- the month of June. Then I taper off a bit, travel to Albuquerque and spend a lot of time with family. Especially this summer as my oldest son will be staying in Albuquerque to attend college. He will be living with my daughter so that at least is numbing the sting of my second child leaving the nest. Three more to go. Summer for many is do nothing, lying by the pool and tanning, sleeping in, and basically shutting down. I can not do that, any of it. I am very pale and burn in the sun no matter the SPF factor, I tend to wake up early whether I like it or not, a 7 year old has needs beginning at his wake up time 7:00 am and I literally have no idea what it means to shut down, be done, relax for long periods of time. I am a working, energetic, machine with a growth mindset and a little pent up energy that needs to be released frequently- thus I read a lot have two 30 minute chats #teachmindful and #stucentclass and plan on having at least two book chats #teachmindfulbooks. Not to mention the myriad of chats I participate in. Believe it or not this still leaves me plenty of time to chill with my family and relax, as well as remaining in touch with my PLN and furthering my learning.

How do I balance all of this? In the summer it is quite easy but during the school year I struggle sometimes. Having to let go of things like Voxer and some chats. I try to make them every other week spreading them out. I participate in so many fantastic chats with truly remarkable moderators. I am so lucky to have found them. I joined Twitter last July not knowing how to navigate it and find chats, even get some followers, albeit I am a minuscule twitter participant in a very huge pond. But I keep swimming and joining and spreading the word. I am writing my blog every day #blog365 which I admit is challenging on some days but I write every day. Making sure to keep my mindset open and my reflection frequent. I Tweet out the strong posts and simply post other days because like most I have my good days and my bad. I feel inspired and insightful most days but reluctant and exhausted others and it definitely shows in my writing. But, I continue to write hoping that I am improving. I wake up every morning set my intentions, meditate and then stay mindful and attentive to my activities. Being present in the moment not only creates a sense of community but it also allows me to recognize where I need to improve, grow, let things go and simply be.


Being a teacher has always been my passion. I wrote a philosophy of education 17 years ago and weekly I read over it and ask myself, am I holding true to my vision, not only for my classroom but for myself. Honestly, I think I am. Reading it weekly inspires me, I forget what the new teacher version of myself was struggling with, my fears my dreams. Now as I read over my journals of my teaching career I feel I have grown so much. I have changed my style, redesigned my classroom, but ultimately this philosophy is still ingrained in me and every day through mindful meditation I see how far I have come and yet how far I have yet to travel. I keep an open-mind knowing that speed bumps will be built in my path but that I can traverse them. Reflection and feedback the momentum I need to keep moving forward. This philosophy has not changed only adapted to the ever changing atmosphere of education. This I think is what makes all of us learners and teachers at heart.



Knowledge is a lifelong process. Observations, interactions, and assessments of daily encounters guide us through a constant state of learning. Through interactions with other people, individuals learn about their immediate surroundings and the world beyond. Discovery occurs with acceptance or rejection of common held beliefs. Education provides a challenging and inspiring learning environment in which children and adults alike can find commonality on an ever-changing planet. One-way for children to understand and accept their place in their community and the world is to have a pupil-centered classroom. Students learn best when they can rely upon and trust one another as well as their teacher. Knowledge seekers need to find out what is true for them individually instead of conforming to what may be true for others. It is a teachers' job to guide students to understanding. They should provide familiarization and create a web of unearthing and cohesion. Only then can true learning occur.

My philosophy as an educator is to provide challenging learning experiences that promote strong academic development, critical thinking skills, and personal responsibility, while ensuring the opportunity to explore strengths and develop individual creativity. Enlightenment is the seed of freedom. Freedom comes from knowledge. The very best teaching practices include patience, a variety of informational techniques and helping students learn to the best of their ability. Instructors can use lesson plans, and follow academic standards, but they need to be flexible. The use of technology can allow for more student interaction and less lecturing. A variety of hands-on activities as well as readings and visual aids are used to incorporate all students' learning abilities. By evaluating truth through the education process we come to find our place in the world. Instructors can create a safe and effective learning environment by promoting respect, individuality, and self-discipline. A challenge for educators is to find a balance between classroom management and nurturing self-expression. Providing situations that harvest students' intellectual and societal development promotes strong academic skills, critical thinking, and personal responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...