Wednesday, May 31, 2017

The Last Day of School: Rubik's Cube Mosaics

Earlier in the year I took a group of ten students to a Rubik's Cube competition. It was so much fun. I learned then that students love Rubik's Cubes, I wanted to do more with them then just solve them. So I went through You Can Rubik's and ordered a set, on loan for six weeks, of traditional Rubik's cubes. Then I decided to create two different mosaics out of them. Allowing my students to organize, solve and create the mosaics entirely themselves. It took 2 class periods to build one, our mascot the Beckendorff Bear and then the next day they created the Tardis. I am a huge Dr. Who fan and it seemed fitting.

All I did was order and receive the 600 Rubik's Cubes and then use the Rubik's Mosaic designer, inputting a picture and voila' a design and the students took it from there. But if I had more time I would have let them design their own mosaics. Alas, next year that is my plan. I wish I could keep them but nope, packaging them up tomorrow and off they go. But what a fun two days of engaged students, collaborating and independently solving. It was a great thing to watch. Below are some pictures of the work in progress of each and the final completion. I hope you guys try it- its so fun and man the kids will remember this forever.




















No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...