Thursday, May 11, 2017

Rock Em' Sock Em' Robots: Combating Misbehavior in the "Ring"

These are the days, those end of the year "matches" where students are slow on the counter-punch, there is a lot infighting due to "spring fever" and if we are not careful students will take a stance on the ropes and we will have a difficult time getting them back into center-ring. A responsive classroom model is one I use to create an atmosphere of independence and flexibility but also personal awareness and management strategies. How can we teach our students to take responsibility to monitor their own behavior and stay focused for the rest of the school year? Yes, having engaging, active and authentic learning experiences can eliminate most issues. But there are always those few who just do not respond to the flexibility of a student-centered classroom like the other students. When spring arrives, it’s natural for students to forget some classroom routines and expected behaviors, no matter how well you may have taught those routines and behaviors earlier in the year. Using Interactive Modeling to reteach and remind is an efficient and enjoyable way to finish the school year positively and productively. Setting up intentions at the beginning of class gets the match off to a fair and respectful start. The bell clings and they are off.

For me there are a few steps I use to model on-task behavior in my classroom. As with any other classroom skill, students don’t necessarily come to school knowing how to do transitions, I have been diligent about teaching them this skill this year. Teaching transitions is like teaching any other activity or task. First I observe to identify any issues. Stand outside the ring and observe the "fighters' stance and moves. Next, I review expectations, demonstrate appropriate behaviors, and let students practice. Finally, I tell them, "it ultimately comes down to the choices you make. This is a student-centered classroom and in order to keep it truly student-led you will need to reinforce these behaviors for yourself and model them for one another. As a community we need to stick to these guidelines. If we do, learning will be abundant and laughter will be frequent." My students are pretty good about self-monitoring and redirecting their peers. But at this time of year, a lot of reminders and modeling takes place.


A responsive classroom model is all about being specific and concise with expectations and reinforcing them through positive speech and modeling every day. I prefer to say "excuse me, I appreciate your attention, thank you for being so observant and your listening skills are spot on today." Rather than correct and discipline all the time. When a student is off-task I do not call them out rather I compliment another student. This keeps the dialogue positive and mindful. The most important thing I do though is have my students take the lead. At the beginning of the year students wrote the expectations and goals. They are prominently posted in the room and we refer back to them daily. Before a transition I remind them what they said was their vision for smooth and quick classroom changes. "These are not my rules," I say "but those written by you- you are the leaders so lets model our expectations." They usually do this quite well. I have to make sure I step back from the ring and let my prize-fighters lead. This time of year though they are in the doldrums and even behavior takes a back seat for some. So I use familiar strategies to help bring about a sense of a "neutral corner" and reinforce that I am not looking for an "eight count" but a way to get everyone back on their feet.


For me keeping the weekly 1-minute check in's, whole group reminders of classroom goals, mobility and flexibility, interactive, collaborative learning and simple, engaging lessons are my strategies. Keep the routines but also spice it up a bit with new, spontaneous and fun activities. This time of year requires a little bit more attention to detail. This is the time students are looking to us for guidance. They are going to push the boundaries and rather than rock em' sock em' back into place, I nudge them back with positive words, reinforcement of the standard and student-written expectations and mindful actions. I have my students take deep breaths before class to get relaxed and focused. I have them write 1 intention at the beginning of class and at the end reflect on it and determine if they accomplished it. This helps them feel connected to their learning, in charge of their behavior and they will never suffer a "knock out" in the ring. They can be prepared to bob and weave against distraction, retract from confusion and go the distance for the rest of the "match."


No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...