Wednesday, July 19, 2017

I Laugh in the Face of Danger... Ha..Ha..Ha...

In the immortal words of Simba in the Lion King, "I laugh in the face of danger, ha..ha..ha.." In a school one of the biggest threats to the cohesion, positivity, and well-being of the school culture is negativity. It is what breaks the spirit of educators around the globe. Having a few bad apples in a bunch of shiny, delicious ones can literally spoil the whole barrel. I have been lucky enough to teach in three schools and each has had its fair share of difficulties in this department. I left my first two assignments because of this turmoil and drudgery, it was too wide spread and thick, it coated every aspect of the environment. I had to leave to keep my sanity. However, I am fairly certain that at my current school, with a little mindfulness and joy I can help to turn things around.

There will always be pessimists and those educators who need to retire, but there are also those who get lost in the shuffle, forgotten because they are in the far corners of the building. It is these teachers, I plan on making contact with, smiling to and greeting in the hallway. I will make a concerted effort to form a connection with these teachers because a little conversation can make all the difference. With those who do not find joy in their profession, who honestly do not like children, those are the ones I will have to work harder at trying to bring into the mindfulness fold. I am excited that I already have a few forward-thinking, positive minded, joyful teachers in my tribe at my school Tricia Reyes and Megan Chriss and I know together we can spread joy and even if there is a resistance movement we can penetrate the blockage day by day, little steps, by simply talking to them and helping them feel connected and a part of something bigger.

We often run from negativity, lock ourselves inside our classrooms and steer clear of uncomfortable and often taxing situations. But, this perpetuates the cycle, keeps the naysayers empowered. I have made a new mission this year, outside the walls of our classroom, I pledge to make a difference. I intend to inspire others through mindful behavior, a joyful attitude, and by listening to others. Sometimes just having someone to talk to, bounce ideas off of, hitch our wagons to, allows us to lose sight of the things that drag us down and focus on those that shine light on us. Compliance does not only occur with our students, it is a thick fog that often bellows through the hallways clogging up creativity and innovation for teachers. The more we stand together as educators, bring those disenfranchised into the fold, the more we will bring about change. The more we will unite and create circles of safety, havens of trust, and waves of individuality and growth that every school needs to thrive and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...