Friday, July 21, 2017

The Moment the Flow Begins and A Classroom Becomes Cohesive

The beginning of the year is always a scary time for me. I have six different classes to connect to, bond with and form relationships with. My quirky and loud demeanor incorporates easily into most classes but there is always that one, where personalities are quiet and my approach needs to vary. I never know what jokes I can tell or how nerdy I can be until I meet them for the first time. Don't get me wrong, I am always a nerd but, I have to 'know the room' tease and play in different fashions depending on the students. It may take a little longer in one class than in others, but to build a strong rapport and strengthen trust and acceptance, a community needs to be constructed. This community is based on student input and desire and at first they are shy and compliant and in order for them to be extroverted and engaged a little finesse has to be used. Joy and mindfulness is often quiet and unassuming and this is the bedrock of my classroom: to smile and belong to something bigger. This is how the collisions form, the turbulence is welcomed and the landing gear always lowers, allowing for a safe landing. It may be bumpy but it is always successful.

The first week is when those extroverts make themselves known and the introverts step back into the shadows. I use a lot of different activities: getting to know you and lab safety skits. Having students mingle and then write and perform skits together brings laughter and equality to the community. Everyone speaks and everyone shares in overcoming the fear of public speaking together. Our classroom is noisy and messy. It is like a river, flowing around every curve, a meander and rapids all building to the mouth of the river: knowledge spilling out everywhere. Some students needs life preservers, others want to take the paddles but together they balance the raft. This is something I instill day one. The class will not run smoothly, we will not overcome the bumpy or scary parts unless we problem-solve together. I do not want one student in my class to get comfortable in the corner in isolation. There is no I in team and there is no corner in community. We can have quiet moments and cozy places to learn but we are always a neighborhood with all participants contributing to the safety and contentment of the group.

After many mindful discussions about collaboration and interaction students begin to find their groove, their wave. This wave can either be one of light, that inspires them to shine and take a leadership role or it can be one of water that carries them down stream. Either way it is an action and in our classroom- action required. Movement, flexibility, malleability and change are all integral in our learning environment. The true flow begins only when I have buy in from every student in the room. After a few weeks of 1-minute check ins, I have strong relationships in place, we are laughing at our failures, taking risks, facing challenges and putting in effort to conquer our fears. Quiet, contemplative students are still shy but they are participating and collaborating and the slow trickle of air has our flight soaring in smooth skies. The rapids have dissipated and the river is steering the raft, carrying the raft, into uncharted territory and students are anticipating and curious and involved in its journey. The flow has begun.

Every day is a different curve, a different storm we must endure to get to clear skies. But, taking risks and failing is now the air we breathe. The cool breeze on our faces. They may hesitate but they do jump in. Together they innovate and write lessons. They discuss their interests and collaborate on what they are passionate about. I simply watch. They have setbacks but they talk them through. The worst thing I can do is step in and solve their problems. I answer questions, provide them with a map if they need it but the adventure is all theirs. They know this from the moment the bell rings on the first day of school. They are not sitting in rows, in alphabetical order. There is no seating chart. There are no rules written on the board. They get quiet quickly, unsure of what is going to happen, the intrigue is already in place. I look at them, quiet and calm. They stare back at me with curiosity and anticipation. I say these words only, as we start our journey together and they make all the difference.

"Welcome to 1161, where you will think for yourself, make your own choices, collaborate and design your own learning. Daily collisions will occur, turbulence will arise, the skies will become overcast. But I will provide you with your instruments, map and gear and you will seek your own path. I will be here to help you find your way if you become lost. Your classmates will help guide you on new adventures. Together we will be a community of learners: teaching, discovering and innovating everything imaginable about science. So let's take-risks and grow together and I promise you this will be the best year ever. The first collision is about to begin, fasten your seat belts passengers, and if it gets a little bumpy, that's okay, we will overcome the commotion in due time"

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...