Monday, March 30, 2020

Hype and Hyperbole (90)

With any situation- good or bad there is anticipation. Not just on what is going to happen. But unfortunately for many, how can I profit off of this? The build-up, knowing something is about to happen- it's like a flurry of activity, bombardment of ideas, advertisements, BOGO, half off sales. It is a cornucopia of - this is the best way to do this and you will be better if you use our product.

It is like in Minority Report when Tom Cruise is walking down the street, hoodie on, and there are adverts yelling at him from every angle. No matter where he went they saw him, they tailor fit the advertisements just for him. Choices, options, things you need, things you don't. Simply so much information- he went on overload. This is the current situation, our brains are beginning to tune out.
I know mine is.

The hype around education is palpable. Social media is promoting every aspect of teaching- free or not. We as educators see this. Like flashes of loud, neon, pulsating allurement- they are everywhere. Buy my book, here is my top 10 ten list, my way is better than yours. Now I know that a lot of things are free- this is awesome. I love how things that were never offered discounted or free are now readily accessible. There is just so much of it.

Saturation overload.

Invitation, enticement, gimmick and hook. Subtle or overt there is tug, pull and prod in every direction. It is hard to maneuver. 360 constantly, it might seem panoramic at first. Then it suddenly becomes like 'incoming.' projectiles, landing beside you, in front and behind. A constant dodge to shield yourself - protect yourself.

You want to peek. Pick and choose- then you sink into the quagmire of "I'm not good enough." and "If I am not doing the 25 things in a week these other people are doing, I'm lazy." It just gets heavy. Discarded casings lie about and their clank as we knock into them, reverberating and thrumming, is a constant reminder, I can't do it all. The only way to see over the heap- is to focus on goals. Write out a schedule and remain flexible.

Hyperbole is magnification of what others want us to see. Some lay it on thick. Some use embroidering, when they should actually be using simple stitching. Some are making their mountains so tall, our mole hills seem minute and insignificant. Wading in the vast pool is easy for a lot of people. BUT, most are trying to swim up stream in turbulent waters. Most are just exhausted.

Things are settling. Routine is starting to be established. Isolation is heavy. But, purpose and product are comforting. Things are starting to make sense. No embellishment needed. Just honesty about struggles and perseverance is what most people want to hear. Skip the overstatement and metaphor and stick with the truth. The vulnerability of authenticity.

What I need- is camaraderie. I need to read posts about overcoming a hiccup. Posts about working through emotional and social isolation. I gravitate not towards the - buy me, you need me, look at me look at me. But the here it is plain and simple, no artifice, just genuine, personal perspective.
This is comforting. This is refreshing. This is veracity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...