Thursday, March 5, 2020

Wheel's Keep on Turning (65)

Today was the day after a test. On these days I like to do a mindfulness lesson and test corrections. Student's started the day, with students listing as many things, that they are thankful for, in their mindfulness journals. I gave them two minutes to write as many things down as they could. Then I prompted- "Now focus on your parents, your siblings, your family." I had them then write down more for one minute. I told them we would return to these grateful examples, after the test correction.

Then we began our test correction/reflection activity. I wrote about this process in an earlier post.

iteacher imother: A New Way To Test Correct (42) https://iteacherimother.blogspot.com/2020/02/a-new-way-to-test-correct-42.html?spref=tw

First I had them go over their test and mark a + next to each question they found easy, a star if they stuggled with it, but felt they got correct and a - if they felt they missed it. They don't know their scores at this point. Then as a group they discuss the questions and their answers and decided together which they feel are correct.

Then I had them match each question with our science TEK's. After they TEK'd the test (Texas Essential Knowledge) state standards, I had them discover which questions, from earlier TEK's were included and why. Finally, I had them critique the test questions. They chose two they felt needed to be reworded, for better understanding and then rewrote them. Then I had them read their new questions to each other. Compare the re-written one's with the one's that were on the test.

This will help us for next year as we update this particular test. It is a great reflective tool for both student and teacher. Keeps the wheel's of ingenuity and reflection going.

After we finished discussing the test, I had students create a gratefulness wheel. This will be for their parents/guardians. We are going into spring break next week and I thought this would be a good tool for them to reconnect with mindfulness and their parents. I know parents will be happy to see these as they deliver them tomorrow. Here is an example of a gratefulness wheel.



Keeping the wheels in motion for one more day. Tomorrow is Ready to Roll Day our culmination of a week of donations for three charities. We do this every year with different charities. Students donate to their teachers and most teachers have an incentives package on the wall. I do. Stuff from free day to silly string fight. It depends on the amount per class. Plus the day of, R2RD, tomorrow is a free day- movies and snacks if teachers are participating in the event.

So tomorrow for me, will be movies all day and lots of very hyper students. BUT, for Make a Wish, Lunches of Love and Katy Wolf Pack it will be great day indeed. Tomorrow I will write a blog about the event and it's success.




No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...