Tuesday, March 3, 2020

I Just Realized Something (63)

At the start of the year, you are trying to get to know students. Yes, you make a few assumptions based on their 'arrival mode.' Did they enter quiet or loud? Did they say hello? But, it takes awhile before they become their true selves.

Some of them put on airs, act mindful, but actually are the opposite. Some become teachers' pet. Some are kind and joyful. Some are just down right arrogant and snotty. But, it's the beginning of the year so we generally as educators, look past any character foible and look for the core of the student- their personality.

You tell yourself, they all have something to love. Every child has the possibility to be your favorite. Just give them a chance. After awhile, they shift. Some that were good students, become lazy. Those students who were engaged and focused are now more social, more loud, more hyper.

You still love them, they are your student, but that does not mean you have to always like them. Some students are just plan old annoying and rude. Yet, we still try to get past that and find the true child in there. Never give up on a student, no matter what.

Some students get more arrogant as the year progresses. They are more flamboyant with their snark and sarcasm. Most days I let it go, ignore it. But today, having a headache, I am picking up on it an let me tell you, I am finding these students very disappointing.

Their lack of mindfulness today is overwhelming. But, I choose not to let this taint my opinion of them. I am going to chock it up to the weather- it's March and 79 degrees outside. Spring is in the air. They are gearing up for spring break next week and seriously- they are exhausting.

So I just realized something- relationships change, behavior changes, our thoughtful reactions change. It can be hard to smile and remain patient in the face of 32 over-active, attention seeking, high-pitched yelping students.

But, I also realize, my mindfulness strategies work. I haven't lost my patience or raised my voice. So go mindfulness. Being present and proactive matters. They are 13 year old's and throughout the day I teach 180 of them. Each with a personal spirit and temperament. Each with a beautiful sense of self. I choose instead to, take a deep breath and realize, it's 6th period and the day is almost over.


No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...