Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Migratory Patterns (344)

"The herds on the move again," Zazoo's infamous line from The Lion King. It rings true in this Savannah of school life, as much as it does on the wild grasslands of Africa.

It seems so strange these days- the moment you bond with a student, they switch classes or go asynchronous. I feel a loss every time. A part of me is hesitant in making the deep connections I usually do with my students- yet I do. I find little ways to get to know them and let them know me. I see them in the hallway, we wave- but bonds are broken so frequently these days, it is migratory, classrooms herds, ever moving towards a new watering hole.

It is hard for us as teachers indeed- but imagine how it impacts students. They feel discombobulated already. A bit lost. Isolated. And just when they start to feel even keeled- we move them to a new classroom. New face, new routines. It has to be unnerving. I guess if I could say one thing to the powers that be- think about these consequences. Just try to minimize the herd's movement.

For they feel safer in the group. Protected., and these days- we need this security more than ever. We may be social distancing, mask laden- but our words, actions, laughter, interactions are what helps us feel connected. This should be the focus- making sure they are not just learning, but also that they are growing socially. A safe haven is key.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...