Sunday, December 27, 2020

Whoa its December 27th? (362)

A Sunday. The last Sunday of 2020. If you read Facebook or Twitter the messages are all about renewal, change, things are going to be different come January 1st. New year and all. People are sharing goals, resolutions and the like. It is a flurry of end of year- bests and worsts. It is a time for reflection- but it seems to be heavily tilted towards the negative.

Yes Covid happened. It literally changed the world. I watch the news and in so many places it is bleak. The blight of a virus erasing many signs of hope. It is such a strange thing to imagine- not being in a classroom, not being able to go to almost any store (mask adorned) and eat in a restaurant (if I wanted). I have somewhat of a normal existence.

I wake up go to work. Albeit a 1/2 virtual and face to face work. But there are students in the halls and in my classroom 1/2 the day. I plan with my team, socially distanced and attend any other meetings on Zoom. The 'something isn't right' moments, are few not frequent throughout the day. As students enter and leave face to face, it seems normal. Then Zoom classes at first seem odd- but quickly the routine sets in- and everything feels like, what many call the 'new normal'.

We have been in this mask covered phenomenon almost 9 months. But in my car- it seems normal, normal traffic. Everyone behaving as they always do: some rude, some kind- everyone in a hurry. When I am home of course things feel the same- because I actually go to a brick and mortar school during the week. Life is moving forward, even in a shadowy time. 

I feel so very lucky every day to have the opportunities I do- to live where I live. To teach where I teach. When so many others are not in the position to be able to do that. I feel eager for things to change, for the vaccine to get distributed and for people to be able to resume their lives. Quarantine is hard, isolation is hard. I have always been with family. 

I have been back in the classroom since August. Things have been somewhat as it has always been since August. And yet, every day when I wake up I speak aloud the mantra- my 2020 mantra "Stay healthy, balanced and grateful. Remember there are always thin, weak spots- steer clear. Put your weight on solid ground and always search the parameter. And always welcome visitors virtual or live- because connection is the life force. Safety first. But build relationships."

January is another month, another year. Big changes are not on the horizon. But hope is. Grace is. Kindness and generosity are. So embrace that. Accept that change will be slow. Be intentional, purposeful and get the momentum going. We are going to need it to get to the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...