Saturday, October 8, 2016

A Week in the Life of a Teacher

A typical week begins with a stressful Monday morning; children complaining, making lunches, sharing the bathroom with four boys. Our second bathroom has a plumbing issue. The last to get the bathroom, no hot water, steamy mirror, stinky clothes and towels in the hamper. But, I go into my walk-in closet close the door, sit on the floor and just meditate for five minutes. This calms me and I get into the car ready to begin the week.

The days are filled with 7th graders exploring, playing with play-doh, creating, laughing. I love teaching even on the most stressful day (grades due, paperwork, grading quizzes, labs, planning) I stand in the doorway greet my students and smile, they make me smile every day. This week so much to do, 2 copiers down at school everyone cranky and fighting over the remaining ones, I do not make many copies so I am not to stressed. I stay late with my clubs and run to make copies when everyone else has left.

A club everyday after school Quiz Bowl, Future City, Pokemon. This means I have to come in early to attend the grade level meeting make-up session. Monday I went to run my scantrons from the previous Friday's test, the breaker blew and both scanners were out and grades were due at noon. So my wonderful IC stopped by and ran them for me during my 3rd period which gave me enough time to record the grades in the computer and run my quarter grades. This event, left me on edge all day.

The rest of the week busy with setting up labs, laminating, cutting yarn for the demonstration activity, and Thursday night working 4-9 at the RSC or Steam Center. Then Friday rolls around and looking forward to relaxing but Saturday is Katy EdCamp which will be fantastic, and Sunday I am going to dinner with my parents. So busy weekend too. I love the quiet moments I get so rarely but I also love to stay connected so every night I go to at least one Twitter chat.

I have watched a little TV this week, NCIS, Hawaii 5-O, some basic shows not needing a lot of brain power. But Sunday after noon I plan on getting caught up on Longmire and Mr. Robot, needing a lot of brain power but such great shows. I smile every time someone says teachers get to clock out at 3:00, get the weekends, summer off etc. I spend most of my summer attend PD and mentoring my science competition students for free by the way, I mentor 6 different competitions and receive no stipend. But again, I love teaching and that makes this crazy busy life I lead worth it.

Laying in bed with my 6 year old watching Phinneas and Ferb and loving the quiet time. This is my relaxing, my calm, being with family and reading a great book. So a week in the life of this teacher is a fast paced, dynamic jumble of work, family, and sleep. My focus this year is on finding time for myself. But until then...a little Sherlock never hurt anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...