Friday, October 7, 2016

Is Coffee a Priviledge?

I live in a single income household. I am a teacher so even with a Master's and nearly a PhD it is not a huge salary. But, we do alright. With four boys at home, Starbucks is a luxury, but I do get gift cards from students for teacher appreciation or Christmas. They get saved up and then over the course of the year I get to treat myself. I recognize that 5.00 is a lot of money to purchase, albeit a yummy beverage, a coffee drink. However, I never thought about the cup and the status that it does denote. the white cup green emblem is infamous at schools. Nowadays students are arriving a hot cocoa or decaf espresso in hand.

You know when you hear something and you go, man how had I not thought of that before? Well, thanks to a Voxer I heard today that happened to me. The difference between privileged and underprivileged students has never gone unnoticed by me. My own children are far from privileged. But, getting a Starbucks never caused me pause. My former school was not affluent or economically advantaged, but I was in a bubble, I taught the Gifted students who often were. But when they would walk in the halls carrying a Venti Macchiato eyes would turn. I never thought anything of it until now.

Is a Starbucks coffee a privilege? I guess it is because most people, many of course do partake, but most do not. Why? Many do not like Starbucks coffee, my daughter is a coffee snob and wont touch it, but many cant afford it. I can't afford it. I got a Keurig for Christmas and man it is my favorite gift ever. So what should seem like an elite gift, a Keurig, is a private encounter. I have my coffee thermos and no one knows where my coffee came from or if it is even coffee for that matter. So before I walk in sipping a Chai Latte I will consider the simple implications it promotes. Many students could never afford one and maybe it does not matter to many people but to me, the relationships I have with my students are of the utmost importance and I would never want to seem elitist.

This does not mean I will never have a Starbucks but I will definitely use this awareness to model generosity and consideration. Many students at my school are wealthy, have the Armani bag or latest Nike sneakers but many are not. The great thing though is our students are respectful and I have never seen overt elitism. Our students are a giving and compassionate group of individuals we have Service Day where we spend the day giving back, we have Rachel's Challenge where students promote courage and respect. Finally, our school has a program where we partner with our underprivileged schools to donate books, clothing, Christmas gifts, and canned goods. This is an on going way for our students to understand the dynamics of socio-economic status. But it is the little things we often do not notice that can make the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...