Monday, October 24, 2016

Homemade Soup: A Weekend of Family and Food

I love to cook. I wish I had more time to. This weekend I cooked two soups: broccoli cheddar and potato cheese from scratch. Fresh ingredients, painstakingly washed, peeled and diced. No frozen broccoli for me. I wanted to eat it long before it was finished. The house smelled awesome, my children kept wandering in to the kitchen asking, What is that wonderful smell?" The anticipation was rising and rising, all of us wanting a huge, piping hot bowl of soup. But it took nurturing and coaxing to get the potatoes to blend and the cheese to melt slowly and thoroughly. It was about four hours of nudging and stirring until finally, they were finished.

They both came out very tasty and my children are gobbling them up. It is amazing what a little anticipation and curiosity can do. My children, who scoff at vegetables, are digging into a bowl of broccoli or potato. The inquiry about cooking and why it takes so long to meld together and become a perfect union of taste was a hot topic of the weekend. My family came together in the kitchen and at the dinner table over homemade soup. It just goes to show that the simple things in life do mean the most. A little 80/s music and cutting board brought my family together to revel in the science of cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...