Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Changing Perspective: A Mothers Acceptance of the Inevitable: Part One

My oldest son is a senior in high school. I know this means college next year and him moving away from home, but I just can't wrap my head around him not being here. It is a year away why do I need to think about it now? SAT's, ACT's, college applications, tuition/financial aid, living expenses. The list is endless. You want them to want to stay home forever, but you need to nudge them out the door to find independence and self-worth, You want them to get accepted into college but worry is it a party school, will he fit in with dorm life? He is not a social butterfly but will he transform into one losing sight of classes and academics?

These are the endless concerns going through my head. I am truly lucky because my daughter lives in Albuquerque and that is where my son wants to go, UNM. So he plans on living with her, helping her out with her son, while building up his residency he will attend a community college for a year. Then enter UNM with residency and a much cheaper tuition. So this as scary as him leaving is, is a great alternative because he will not be alone and isolated. But as a mother, losing my son to adulthood is a sad event. I am keeping myself busy with his last year here, he is helping with my science competitions and we are spending a lot of time together which? I hope will make the transition for both us us easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...