Wednesday, October 5, 2016

One Minute Check-in's: Weekly Feedback with Students

A few months ago, I was watching my students collaborating and while they were engaged and interactive,  a few were dominating the conversation. I observed a bit longer, trying to determine why these two students in particular were steering the discussion. Then it dawned on me that one student might have been more knowledgeable about the topic but the other was simply more confident and outgoing. I decided then that I needed to communicate with my students one-on-one every week to bring out the voice of certain students, have others share their doubts or struggles, and allow others to ask questions and share new ideas. Thus began 1-minute check-in's.

I have a check list I use every week to keep track. I count up all the check in days and they total a grade at the end of the quarter, this makes those students who ask "Is this for a grade" on track. The first week or so I had to remind them, "Come see me, you can ask me questions, share ideas, and even provide me with feedback." But, after the second week they are now walking up to me during collaborative class time, during class change, even after-school to chat. They only have one minute. If they have more to say they can come up to me anytime to continue the chat.

After awhile many students look forward to the chats. They remind me in the hall that they are going to come chat with me during class. It is actually a highlight of my day. Often they are asking questions about science and how to best study but often it is about a book they are reading, a topic they are interested in, or enrichment ideas they want to bring into class. Either way just the opportunity to speak with students one-on-one every week has opened up a fantastic dialogue, created a safe place for students to open up and feel safe, and a perfect opportunity for me to identify student strengths and weaknesses so I can address them promptly and efficiently.

The best thing a teacher can do is build a rapport with their students. Communicate with them on a personal level as well as in the role of teacher and student. One minute chats do not take a lot of time, they are required but the timing is flexible, and they are effective and enhance the classroom dynamic. I really have gotten to know my students and them me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...