Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Authentic Learning: A Success Story

As a teacher we always seek the most engaging and authentic learning experiences for our students. We create opportunities for students to grow through collaborative work as well as individual assignments. Together these provide a balance between self-driven inquiry and team discovery. Having a learning disability myself, I am always looking for new creative ways to make connections with reluctant learners. Many believe that students behave better for other teachers because the teacher does not discipline or "has a loud, uncontrolled environment." This could not be further from the truth. First, my class room is rarely quiet but it is very much monitored and organized. Secondly, it is the classroom dynamic, respectful relationships, and student-centered environment that allows my students to thrive. Not me, but the way our classroom is designed as a whole.

I have a student who struggles with other teachers. This student has Autism, is younger than most of his classmates, and is easily frustrated. When this frustration occurs they shut down. Then they are finished for the class, there is very little chance of reconnecting them. In my classroom, they actually are not a reluctant learner, they answer questions, share ideas, and seek opportunities to use the maker space, collaborate with their peers, and even yes, write reflections in their journals. But, in other classes they withdraw, refuse to write, and even get obstinate and argumentative. So, because this has become a major issue, I was asked to meet with the parent.

The parent asked me what happens in my classroom because every day her child comes home smiling and sharing ideas about science. They love school but often feel trapped. She asked me what strategies I use to keep her child engaged for 50 minutes a day. I explained that truly it has to do with positive reinforcement and the trusting relationships my class has forged these last 7 weeks. My students look out for each other. They support each other. It is a student-centered environment where rather than me being the focus they are. I pose guiding questions or topics and let them roll with it. I have them read, write reflections, conduct labs and activities, and use the maker space to inspire, imagine, and innovate.

She smiled because she said whatever you are doing it works. I told her as teachers we call it authentic learning. Active learning comes from student choice and ownership. When they feel a part of something bigger, they feel compelled to participate. Even my most reluctant learners do not want to be left out. I have only seen her child become frustrated a few times, but before I could even address it, his table mates had and got him calm and reengaged. A student-led classroom is truly an amazing thing. It is scary at times but it is beautiful when it works. I find that I do doubt its success at times and ask myself are they truly learning? Is this model truly successful, then I sit down and talk to a parent and feel reassured that it does in fact work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...