Friday, October 28, 2016

My Life in a Nutshell: Part One

In the 1980’s Laguna Beach High School was a school of normal adolescents; artists, musicians, and strange individuals; but for the most part normal. Wizards, dragons, and Hobbits were only alive in books and the Internet, I-phones, and X-box were not even heard of. We used type-writers, Atari, and payphones. We wore bangle bracelets, parachute pants, and head bands. But we were normal. Prince, Madonna, and Thompson Twins blared from over-sized boom boxes while the Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, and St. Elmo’s fire were the inspiration for our witty banter and social norms. The 1980’s was a decade of decadence and spontaneity. Growing up in a decade with no war, no economic depression, and no Columbine allowed for us to focus on the little things. These little things were the essence of what we became. These minute behaviors created a way for us to stay individuals but also to find a connection with our peers; to truly belong to a generation called lazy and greedy but who were actually the last generation of innocence and awe.


Some people do extraordinary things. Others live fascinating lives with fascinating people. The simple folk, however, like me, usually by chance or happenstance have interesting tales and cool anecdotes but aren’t considered outstanding in anyway.  I kind of like it that way actually. I can bump into a whirlwind of uniqueness or stumble over a barrage of newsworthy events and unlike the poor schleps that have a camera in their face on the worst days of their lives, I can experience very cool things and decide whether or not to share my findings. I have been alive for 47 years give or take month and I have been all over the world, been victim to many a natural disasters or man-made tragedy, and created and sustain a family of four boys. If that isn’t enough, I am a teacher, of 7th graders, 12 and 13 year old's, which is challenging and frustrating but meaningful and enlightening.  It is a part of who I am.


When did all of this ordinary, simple, often mundane existence begin? I was born the summer of 1969. It sounds so long ago now that we are in the 2010’s. But in the scheme of things, it wasn’t, not really. I look at my students and my children and I often feel antiquated and out-of-touch, but when I think back on my experiences I realize that no matter what decade you sparked to light, the true essence of who we are is the same. The basic and fundamental fact is that we all want to fit in and be loved. We all want to be noticed, accepted, and supported. We all want to belong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...