Thursday, January 11, 2018

An Interesting Observation: The Comfortability Factor: Snip It #4

These last few days, something odd, but rewarding, has been happening. Whether I am in the hall during class change, at the STEAM center with robotics, or even after-school walking to my car- students, I do not know, are coming up to me and talking to me. Conversing about everything from Superheroes to Science. They greet me with a "Hello, Mrs. CJ," the curious thing being that, I do not teach them, nor do I know them. But, they seem to know me. I have of course, responded with a smile and "Hello, hello, how are you today?" This sparks a 2-5 minute conversation.

I ask them to introduce themselves and they do. This intrigues me even more. They tell me that their friend has my class, or that I taught their sibling several years ago. They continue to tell me, that they just wanted to meet me and say hello. Now if this were to occur, once or twice, this would have been cool, in and of itself. But this week alone, it has occurred 8 times. I think it is awesome. I know that my quest for mindfulness and calm, has somehow lured them, into my little realm. I smile a lot and greet everyone in the hall, I try to elude joy and happiness in my actions, but rarely do I see such obvious affirmations. This has, in a minor way, validated my mindful demeanor. I expected a positive return, from those I interact with, but to have the opportunity to meet, this many new people- priceless.

It just goes to show, you get what you give. Remove the negative and positive will emanate. Make eye contact and talk to students and they will remember you. Take the time to slow down and just revel, in the beauty, of what we do. We get to shape the minds of our future leaders, scientists, writers, etc. It all starts with a mindset, a mindful mindset. We can't be happy all the time, of course not. But, we can put on a joyful facade, when we need to. We can actively demonstrate positive actions and kind words. Let, me tell you this, being approached 8 times this week, by students I do not know, has changed my outlook, even more. The smallest of gestures changes trajectory and for me- lots of collisions have happened this week and these are my favorite thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...