Friday, January 26, 2018

Future City and Quiz Bowl: Snip It #19

The Future City competition, is a popular one. I have mentored teams in two states: Georgia and Texas. This is my 11th year being a mentor/coach. My teams have always received awards because they work very hard and generally get an award, for best city design or best transportation.It takes many months and hours to complete all of the different elements and to finally have a model, speech and presentation ready, for tournament day.

The past few years, we have competed locally in Houston. But it is a small event, with about 20 teams. This year I decided to go big and attend a busier and larger venue. This is our first year in Dallas, rather than Houston. This is awesome. But we all have to, drive 4-5 hours to get there. Tomorrow is our competition. They have all worked so hard since August: both in my club meetings and outside of school in their teams. I have been talking to them and answering their questions since August, so I am truly excited to see all the presentations and watch them shine.

This is an amazing opportunity for anyone to connect science, math, ELA, engineering and speech in their classrooms and beyond. It is a national competition and I hope that word spreads and others begin to join, because it is fulfilling and rewarding, not only for students but for parents and teachers alike. (www.futurecity.org) My goal is to get to nationals, in Washington D.C., maybe this 11th year, will be the year. Three teams, 12 students, a road trip and let's see what happens. This year over 100 teams in Dallas, rather than about 25-30 here in Houston. So the competition is fierce. Win or lose, it is the journey and I am looking forward to seeing my teams reach their destination and enjoy the ride along the way.

Also, tomorrow are 4 teams- 16 students, competing in Texas Alliance Quiz Bowl, for my team. I have been practicing with them, all week as well. Last night 7-9 pm, after Future City met before. Long day. We are all tired, but they are ready. We have gone to several tournaments this year, so they are well-prepared and know what to expect. However, they have never competed without me there. I know they will do great. I have trained them well.

Tomorrow, they are competing for a second team at Nationals, in May and ... well...4 teams, all of which have our strongest players, means there is a good chance, we will. I am disappointed that I can't be at both, but everything will be awesome, for my students. I will text with parents and keep updated, on their progress, as I am watching my Future City teams present and have fun. Talk about multi-tasking. After tomorrow, on Sunday, I am going to sleep. Lot's and lots of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...