Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Do You Have a Teacher Tell? Would You Tell Us if You Did?: Snip It #10

Let me start off by saying, yes, I have a tell. What type of tell? There are two definitions of a tell: in Archeology a tell, is an artificial mound, of accumulated refuse, left behind by occupants, of a given area. In other words, the muck and sludge, that we have to traverse, to get to higher ground. In poker, a tell is a player's behavior or demeanor, generally quiet, that gives away clues, as to what they are clasping, in their hand. Are they gripping a four of a kind, a full house, or a losing hand? They are the myriad of circumstances, the cynosure of high and low, ensemble, and profile, of what has been presented to us. Ultimately, how we are going to arrange and swap our cards, to make the best, of what we have been dealt.

I have pondered this, the last few days. When students are observing me, as I present their lesson, share anecdotes, reveal the mystery, of the activity or lab- is my tell obvious? Is it consistent? Is it positive? How can I, as a teacher, emanate an optimistic, inquisitive, compelling, posture and disposition, even if on the inside, I am screaming, with frustration? For me, it is mindfulness. Mindfulness always trumps, stress or exhaustion, if you stay alert and cautious. If you always accept what you have been dealt, and organize your day accordingly. Every morning the cards are shuffled, ace high, every suit and rank, has an equal opportunity, to lie in your stack. It is not what is painted, on the face of the card, but how you make it work, in your hand, that makes all the difference.

I find, that if I greet them at the door, look them in the eye, smile, and say hello, I can find some wild cards, in my hand. I have a 'direction' that my cards will take. If I laugh, listen and genuinely, interact, as the first card, is tossed on the table before me, I set the tone. I see the possibilities, the cards have more depth and conviction. If I bring my students together, with a gentle ringing of my bell, rather than raising my voice, over the din of settling, suits begin to pair up. I am witnessing the beginning of a winning hand. I place a bet, I lean in to the deal and anticipate, the river. I call. I look around at the players in the room, each with a unique tell. It becomes clear to me: the flow of the day, and the rising energy. This tell is not murky or wasteful, it is empowering for all.

Every morning, as I shift into teacher mode, I recognize my tell. For me, it is mostly consistent, it is optimism and joy, with a little quirkiness for good measure. Even on my most topsy-turvy days, I have my tell. Some days it may take a little longer to find, but by the bell, it encompasses my presence. I may turn my back from the table, the dealer, and let enter a moment, of quiet desperation, but as I turn around to face the day, to size up my audience, it is the 'What are we gonna do today?" optimism that shapes my expression. Students know our tell. This is how they can get under our skin. Never fold. Never let them see you sweat. Always let them see you looking for their tell. With a smile and intentional words, every hand can be a four of a kind, well at least a full house.

What's your tell?


No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...